The Natural Philosopher

Default Staining Knotted pine doors

N. Thornton wrote:

anon wrote in message . ..

I'm looking to replace the interior doors in the house we're moving in
to. We are buying glazed and unglazed knotted pine doors and having a
joiner fit them.

I am considering a stain or combined varnish and stain to enhance the
appearance of the doors. I am looking for a lightish stain, or even a
cherry wood type effect.

Any advice or recommendations?

Yep, dont. Tinted varnish is the worst. It chips in time, and all the
chipped bits show up light against the darker background. Soon looks
terrible.

Staining kills the beautiful patterning of the wood. Its better to let
the wood darken by itself naturally. Its slow but the result is
wonderful, and makes stained pine look sad by comparison.

Regards, NT

All pine looks more or less dreadful.

Paint the ****ers.