Steven D. Russell

Default What should I use for finishing bowls?

Hello Max,

The sealer coat of Lacquer is very thin, however, I still rub it down with
webrax (synthetic wire wool) before applying oil to the surface. This helps
even everything out before beginning the application of the chosen oil
finish.

You could also use your final grit of abrasive as well, I just prefer the
webrax, as it is available with fabric backing and I can power buff the
outside if necessary on larger pieces using my flex-shaft tool, or the
pneumatic VS drill.

You could also use wire wool to prep the surface before applying the oil,
but be careful as the steel wire wool may leave a residue, which may be
visible in the pores upon close inspection. In addition, if your oil is
water based, the steel residue will rust... :-o If you prefer wire wool,
consider bronze wire wool (no rusting).

Additional note: The sealer coat of Lacquer can be diluted 50/50 with
Lacquer thinner and for best results, should be strained before application
with an oil base safe paint strainer. This is overkill for some, but that's
the best way to do it, IMHO.

I do not have a website up and running, but hope to by year end. If you're
interested in my educational CD/DVD's, please send me an email and I will
place you on the interested list. When Volume #2 is ready to ship in a few
weeks, I will send you a notice to let you know the details. Thanks and if
you have any questions, or if I can help you in any way, please do not
hesitate to contact me. Take care and all the best to you and yours!

--
Better Woodturning and Finishing Through Chemistry...

Steven D. Russell
Eurowood Werks Woodturning Studio
The Woodlands, Texas

Machinery, Tool and Product Testing for the Woodworking and Woodturning
Industries

³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell² Volume #1 CD ROM * Available for
Shipment
³Woodturning with Steven D. Russell² Volume #2 CD ROM/DVD Video * Available
Soon

On 8/8/04 11:33 AM, in article
. net, "Maxprop"
wrote:

"Steven D. Russell" wrote in message

One of the easiest ways to make oil finishes build faster is to seal the
wood first, then apply your chosen oil finish. I prefer using thin Lacquer
as a primary sealer...

After sealing with lacquer, is it necessary to sand again before applying
the oil. Frankly it comes as a surprise that oil can be applied over
lacquer. I'd never have guessed.

The rest of your post is full of valuable info as well, Steven. Thanks.
And I definitely would like your two media discs. Do you have a website.
(sorry, I'm fairly new around here)

Max