indago

Default OT Who reads this forum?

040808 1231 - ameijers posted:

"Johnson" wrote in message
Curious as to who reads this forum. Retired? Doctor? Factory Worker?
Construction? Etc.

Anyone want to volunteer from which walk of life you are?

48 year old federal employee who spent the first 23 years of life growing up
in the construction business, but decided the irregular paychecks and
prospect of hard outdoor manual labor as I aged weren't as nice as a regular
(and higher) paycheck and air conditioned work environment. Made the mistake
of letting current employers see me with a screwdriver in my hand, so they
promptly labeled me a Technical Wizard (which I'm not), and moved me into
the computer shop, where I currently work in computer security. In the land
of the blind, etc. I do occasionally get to crawl through the bowels of the
100 year old office building I work in to spec out cable runs and other
remodelings. (It was a hell of a building until the feds got hold of it-
some of the buried spaces still hold hints of the former grandeur.)
As the years passed I found myself missing the feeling of actually
repairing/creating or finishing some tangible physical item, so I am
currently looking to buy a house with room to set up a very basic woodshop,
so I can at least build my own crude shelves and other furniture. Bought a
house down south for my father (a house designer) to live in, and got to
work with him designing an addition to it, but (sadly) didn't have time to
go down and swing a hammer with him again. Hoping to go down this fall after
weather cools, and work with him on some finishing touches like a porch
roof.

WTMI, huh?

aem sends....

Well good; now I can't wait for the second chapter...