Mike Mitchell

Default Digging a pit

On Sat, 7 Aug 2004 20:58:49 +0100, "G&M"
wrote:

"Mike Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Is there any planning permission required for constructing an
inspection pit inside a garage on a domestic dwelling?

By "on a domestic dwelling" do you mean the garage is attached to the
dwelling ? If so building control will want to be involved.

The assumption is that the garage would be part of the property, and
may be affixed to the property or a separate building some distance
away. I mean, this is just as an idea of mine, as I grew up in a large
house which had the huge coaching sheds out the back, one with a pit,
and I want one day to get back into the old cars of my youth.

But I don't quite see why the council planning bods would be
interested, as what could happen just by digging a pit? Obviously, one
would have to make sure no soil or supply pipes crossed that part of
the ground, or take steps to reroute them. And one would also have to
ensure that safety was ensured, both during construction and when
finished, with the right thickness of planks being used to cover over
the pit (the one I remember as a lad had railway sleepers) when not in
use.

MM