Barry N. Turner

Default What should I use for finishing bowls?

I have had very good success with Minwax Polyurethane in either gloss or
semi-gloss formulas. Sand to 320 or higher, slop on a heavy coat of poly
and keep wet for a few minutes. Then wipe it off. Turn the lathe on and
burnish it in with a soft cloth. An old T-shirt works great. One or two
coats is usually all you need. It's incredibly simple and easy. Try it.

Barry

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
I want a good finish for my natural edge bowls. I've used tung oil, tung
oil mixed with mineral spirit and now use Daly's SeaFin Teak Oil which I
like a lot better than the other two. I also tried Formby's Tung Oil

finish
and didn't really like it. It seemed more brittle and crystalline. I

want
a penetrating type with oil, like an oil varnish to protect my natural

edge
bowls. One criteria is a faster build than what I'm getting. Some bowls
like pine and birch may take up to about 7-10 coats. Most bowls including
apple, cherry and maple take at least 4 coats. One member of my local

club
suggested TruOil and I'm leaning toward that based on good comments in the
archives. Any other suggestions? I'll be ordering the Russell CD's when

he
intros the new one, but I need to get a gallon soon.

Thanks,

Derek