Robert Snyder

Default Replacement engine for Colemate Generator

Update-

My project is proceeding at a snails pace do to it being summer.
However, I have made the replacement shaft made except for the final
pulley end diameter. Also, I made a bearing holder (bearing is a 20mm
ID) and have the bearing installed.

I stopped by a motor shop in town and talked with the owner. He said
my generator being an older brush type should work either direction.
He also told me he doesn't like the direct drive engine generator and
was interested in how the project comes out. My first test was a
simple spin by hand and the output voltage could be detected in either
direction. I next tested by connecting the generator to a small 1750
rpm motor. The generator output showed about 60+ volts ac at the 120
plug and 120+ volts ac on the 220 volt. Once I get it up to full
speed it should be good to go. These 1750 rpm tests were CCW which is
opposite of the original rotation.

I am planning on 3/4" diameter for the generator pulley shaft. I am
checking on avaiable pulley sizes first.

For the frame to hold the generator and engine I am thinking of some
combination of light angle and bar (perhaps some plywood) I want to
keep the weight down. I have used plywood on some other motor mounting
projects and it seems to be fine for light duty ie wood bandsaw 3/4
motor. I made a base for an air compressor motor using angle and plate
and it is heavy. I may look for some 10 gauge sheet and light 2"
angle. Any votes for plywood?

Bob

Old Nick wrote in message . ..
On 18 Jul 2004 20:52:56 -0700, (Robert Snyder)
vaguely proposed a theory
......and in reply I say!:

Learn the same lesson before trying this with firefighting pumps as
well....close-coupled, and the emgine may cost _more_ than the pump,
new.

I have seen where people have converted old motors into generators. I
was thinking that would be a fun project and if I started with an old
generator should be even better.

I picked up (bought) a 4200W Coleman Generator with bag motor (piston
through the block). I thought the generator and engine were seperate
so I could add a different engine with maybe a coupling change. Not
so.

After getting the unit home and disassembling, I discovered the rear
engine bearing (the crackshaft extents into the generator armature)