George

Default What should I use for finishing bowls?

I assume you're concerned about applying before the piece is dried?

If so, use the dilute wiping varnishes/Danish oils followed by less dilute
with the same resin. Don't think I'd go as long on the oil as the solvent,
though. Makes the finish soft.

If not worried about moisture beneath, it's tough to beat shellac for ease,
build, and reparability. Since this type of bowl will likely see dry use
only, if at all, you needn't worry about durability.
http://www.woodfinishingsupplies.com/ to mix your own.

Quick and dirty finish
http://personalpages.tds.net/~upgeorge/Pin%20three.htm

"Derek Hartzell" wrote in message
One criteria is a faster build than what I'm getting. Some bowls
like pine and birch may take up to about 7-10 coats. Most bowls including
apple, cherry and maple take at least 4 coats. One member of my local

club
suggested TruOil and I'm leaning toward that based on good comments in the
archives. Any other suggestions? I'll be ordering the Russell CD's when

he
intros the new one, but I need to get a gallon soon.