Steven Briggs

Default Staining Knotted pine doors

In message , BillV
writes

"Jerry Built" wrote in message
. ..
anon wrote:
I am considering a stain or combined varnish and stain to
enhance the appearance of the [knotty pine ] doors. I am
looking for a lightish stain, or even a cherry wood type
effect. Any advice or recommendations?

Are these cheap (less than =A320 from B&Q) doors? If so, pick
them carefully to get the best ones - get several off the rack
and check they're not twisted (lie them on the floor or just
eye them up). After that, examine them carefully for damage
or poor machining, especially troughs where the timber has
been through the planer, and damage to the mouldings. If you
find any good ones, proceed. Look at the position of the knots,
you don't want ones on one face of the stiles only, as the knot
will tend to cause distortion on drying - the timber will try
to "bend" towards that face. Knots on the edge, or that go
straight through, are OK. Assuming any doors pass this
inspection, then prop them up in a line, and examine the
general "look" of the doors. Pick the best ones.

I'd aggree with Jerry on that.. We had to take the ones we got from B&Q back
they were so bad.
Went to Magnet in the end and got the their clear pine ones. Much better and
not much more expensive if you chat them up to get the trade price..

Definitely good advise.
The cheap pine doors are crap. BTDTBTTS.
Given that clear pine doors can now be found for ~£50, which looks
better, and more importantly will be more stable, it's not worth the
effort of fitting & varnishing the cheapies, or paying someone to do it.
--
Steve