Mike Mitchell

Default Last night's "Property Ladder": A Question

On 14 Jan 2004 06:32:00 -0800, (Ted Woodley)
wrote:

Maybe. I've just been through it too. You are right that discounts
cloud the picture - if I'd been them I'd have made sure the kitchen
vendor knew it would be featured heavily on a C4 TV programme - that
would probably reduce the price nicely.

I got a good price by:

1) Getting the kitchen company to do a free design and give me their
"best price" for the materials and fitting as a package. This featured
30% discounts (so-called) and the assurance "it is impossible to get a
lower price"

2) I then took the design to my own builder and offered him the same
installation fee. He took the design to a different branch of the same
kitchen company and he obtained another 10-15% "trade" discount over
and above what I had been quoted for the materials.

Result: A good price and a fitter who would also handle laying a new
floor and all the peripheral stuff that kitchen company fitters won't
(officially) do. .

Why don't more people, especially those in this ng, build their own
kitchen from scratch? It isn't rocket science, and all the ready-made
kitchens are basically chipboard and lots of it. I reckon fitted
kitchens are one of the biggest rip-offs in the home refurbishing
business.

MM