Pat

Default A few hand plane questions

Hi Alex,

No, and I'll tell you why..

That's Amazon.com, not Amazon.ca "which doesn't sell tools".
As a result, you have to factor in the exchange rate CDN to US.
Last time I checked it was $1.40 CDN to $1.00 US. That get's you to
$28 bucks. Let's not forget about shipping fee's. Then add in
Federal Goods and Services Tax of 7%, and then the Provincial Sales
Tax of 8%. Then of course I would have to pay "Duty" cause it will
pass over the border etc.

Footprint Tools manufacturing plant is just outside of Toronto "They
actually have a website". i.e. Canadian Made tool.

As for the claim in the Amazon advertisement. The bed angle wasn't
even close to 21 degrees. I checked mine with a protractor and 25
degrees was being conservative. It's not being marketed "up here" as
a low angle block plane, and the company doesn't claim it's a low
angle block plane either. Nor do they make any claims about ability
to plane end-grain.

The base ground for accuracy. I spent an hour on mine "and I started
lapping with 220 grit paper" before switching to my stones, and the
base is still not even close to perfect.

Finger and Thumb grooves on the sides don't exist on mine or even in
the picture Amazon is showing you.

Plastic Knob - that's the only part of their advertisement that is
accurate.

And it's an ugly looking knob too..

Maybe I should have bought the Stanley - at least it looks like a
plane... {Smile}...

On Thu, 5 Aug 2004 22:27:00 -0700, "AArDvarK"
wrote:

Actually it's the 220H.

ahh... you paid too much: http://tinyurl.com/3jhr6
Alex