patriarch

Default A few hand plane questions

"AArDvarK" wrote in
news:eeiQc.3009$yh.1696@fed1read05:

snip

So you bought the Footprint H4 for $29 and completely tuned it "out
the bazoo" and it is now a perfectly fine working plane, as good as
any other no matter what brand, except maybe the iron not being a Hock
A2... that teaches me something about the cost of things and their
necessity. Do a little studying on tuning, work hard doing it and
we'll be just as good. It is not so much the tool as it is the crafts-
manship. I suspected as much, and frankly, you get more of my respect.

Alex

It's true. A hack with a Clifton, or a Lie-Nielsen, or similar higher-end
plane is still a hack. A craftsperson, who tunes, and uses, his or her
tools, is indeed a craftsperson.

I admire those who imagine, envision, design, create and complete works of
art, and craft, and beauty. That they did it with tools we can't even
identify today, in many cases, indicates that we must pass on what we
learn.

That many here are firmly rooted in building the future in electornics and
communications, as well as discovering our heritage of hand tools and
working with woods, is somehow deeply satisfying.

Patriarch