Pat

Default A few hand plane questions

My name is Patrick. That's the icky version of Patriarch.
I haven't bought a hand plane in 3 months. But even then it was only
the $29 foot print, that I could afford. And then after 3.0 hrs
worth of flattening the sole, flattening the iron. Changing the
bevel angle and then some serious honing. I could actually plane oak
and it did a pretty decent job. It did a god job of smoothing the
face and edge. It even did a good job of planing end grain.

Someday the hair will grow back on my arm, and the nicks on my fingers
will eventually heal. Ya know - testing...

I think the reason it started out as a crappy plane, had something to
do with the 25 degree bed angle, compounded with the 25 and 30 degree
bevels. "Try pushing that sucker on oak"... I went with a
single bevel about 18 to 20 degrees. Then put a mirror surface on
both sides of the iron. Goes through oak quite easily.

Oh well, back to the Lee Valley Catalogue and some dreaming....
Maybe someday "assuming I stop buying wood" I'll be able to afford a
real plane. Preferably one that's made by Hawaiian Airlines and
takes me to the Big Island for the rest of my life.

PM

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 19:27:53 +0100, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 12:11:56 -0400, Joe Gorman
wrote:

Hello. My handle is Patriarch. It's been 41 days since I bought a
handplane......

My name is Joe, and it's been 3 days, but it was only a woodie.

Try bidding low on eBay. All the fun of shopping, but you rarely
actually need to pay for the thing and if you do, you got a real
bargain !

Wonder if I'll get the #62, the #101 1/2 or the #10 1/4 ? 8-)