iamaran

Default Plumbing shock

(Aidan) wrote in news:9903aca9.0408021421.389a3724
@posting.google.com:

1. Is that explanation likely to be accurate?

Sounds possible but not likely, unless they'd employed a complete
moron to install the drains. It's accuracy isn't relevant though, they
seem to have accepted liability.

2. Is it likely that any long-term damage could have been caused?

Yes, the dampness would increase the likeihood of mould, dry rot,
woodworm etc. The floor void needs to be thoroughly ventilated to dry
it out.
There will be solid, rotting food waste in the floor void, making
vermin (insect & rodent) infestation likely. It needs to be cleaned
out.

Should I get a professional opinion?

Yes. And monitor the condition of the floor void over several years.

Once again, thanks for all the replies.

The good news is that they have replaced all of the copper piping for
plastic and all is emptying out where it should.

Under the floor does seem to be mainly soil and rubble. I can't tell
where the water has gone, and they said they couldn't either, saying that
there didn't seem to be much water visible. I think they are trying to
"downplay" the situation somewhat.

They marked the job sheet as "remedial work" so in some sense seem to
accepting liability (although verbally insisting they are not to blame).

Maybe they did say that the copper was soldered, not welded. I was not
in, my partner was, and to her the distinction between soldered and
welded is small! Having briefly seen the copper pipe (in two parts) it
just seemed to have been pushed together without any joining material.
But I am no expert.

I intend insisting that the large company pays for a surveyor of my
choosing. My contract is with them, not the subcontractor.

Many, many thanks for the replies.