Ken Grunke

Default What am I doing wrong?

Maxprop wrote:
Having adopted Andrew Hilton's method for honing tools between sharpenings,
ie--fining them on a disc made of MDF with a 6" PSA sanding disc attached to
one side and a method of attaching it to the spindle on the lathe on the
other, I've run into a snag.

I used a 3" faceplate on my first such disc, but tried a second method of
attachment after someone suggested this: turning a partial-thickness recess
on the back of the MDF and gluing a nut (1x8 in this case) in the recess for
attachment to the spindle. After two attempts at this, it's been a failure.
In both cases I turned the backside hole slightly undersized for the nut,
then seated the nut into the hole with a brass mallet while gluing with
gap-filling cyanoacrylate adhesive (super glue), and then applying a fillet
of epoxy around the flats of the nut to fill the gaps between the nut and
the hole sides. I even scruff sanded the flats on the nut to bond to the
epoxy better. In both cases the nut eventually popped out of the hole,
sending the disc flying. I was not honing a tool at either time, and the
lathe was set to its lowest speed--roughly 450rpm.

Any ideas as to why the nut won't stay in the hole?

Max

Did you degrease the nut? Acetone or even just soap and water will do.
Also, try undercutting the hole at an angle, just like a dovetail recess
for a scrollchuck. Then grind some random grooves in the nut, where it
fits in the recess. Make the hole deeper, even.

Ken Grunke
SW Wisconsin
http://www.token.crwoodturner.com/
Member, Coulee Region Woodturners AAW chapter
http://www.crwoodturner.com/