none none

Default Flat roof in Western Scotland - your opinion please

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
om...
"Jerry Built" ] wrote in message

. ..
none none wrote:

So it's survived well with a flat roof for about 70 years. The only
question seems therefore to be cost, which you can ascertain fairly
easily.

Well, we dont know that. It might have limped along truoblesomely and
expensively for 70 years, with one owner after another pulling their
hair out.

The only concern I have is that the roof of the entire house (4 bed)

if
flat. The owners assured me that the roof has been done up completely
earlier this year, and the work carries a 10-year guarantee. So far,

so good
(my solicitor will put that as a condition to the offer).

I would want to know what that gtee covers - youll probably find it
doesnt cover what you'd like it to.

However, during viewing I was looking down from the second floor

window at
the roof of the single-story extension at the back (also new roof), in

very rainy day may I add, showed that the whole extension roof was

basically
one big shallow paddle (at least 0.5 " deep I would estimate). I

haven't had
a chance to look at the roof of the rest of the building. Is this
common/what one should expect with a flat roof?

yes

or is it just a matter of
time before it will start leaking?

yes

Also, what should I look for in a flat roof to put my mind at rest?

Nothing puts a flat roof buyers mind at rest. If you want the resting
mind, leave it. If you want to cut a cheap deal, count on the fact
that everyone else will leave it.

Whilst having a guarantee is reassuring, the thought of having to

decorate
after each leak appears is not particularly appealing...

thats minor. In short your roof will probably need redoing every 10 to
20 years, with smaller leaks between times. You'll be busy and put it
off, by which time it wont need refelting, but refelting and
reboarding. And sometimes the beams rot too, and you need a new roof
structure. Had that in one house.

Thats the downside. Oh and good luck selling it. The upside is you
might be able to be aggressive on the bargaining front. In short, if
youre looking for trouble, go for it.

Regards, NT

Thanks for the useful advice.

One thing worth adding is that here in Scotland we are in a seller's market,
and the system is somewhat different. I expect the sellers to receive at
least 5 or 6 offers for the house (amount of your choice, in sealed
envelopes). The going rate here at the moment is that unless you offer
20-30% ABOVE the valuation price you don't stand a chance. The upside is
that when you come to sell (and the market is similar) it is you who
benefit.