Rick Schmalzried

Default Suggestions for making a "ring"

I know a lot of people have replied already, and I haven't read all of
the replys so I apologize if this is a duplicate, but why can't you
use a circle jig with your router. It is really pretty simple.
Basically a compass for the router...Probably what you are doing for
your bandsaw, just substitute a router bit for the bandsaw blade and
turn the jig upside down.

Take something such as a 1x4 (in this case about 30" long), pick out
a router bushing, drill a hole near the end of the 1x4 to fit the OD
of the bushing. Now pick out a straight bit for the router, (a
carbide spiral bit works well) such as a 1/2" diameter. Use a nail
for the center point at the appropriate distance to give the desired
radius. (Make sure to watch which edge of the bit you measure from.

3 passes on your material and you should have a perfect circle.

--Rick

On 27 Jul 2004 12:30:13 EDT, Mark and Kim Smith
wrote:

As part of a project I'm making, I need to make a 4' ring. The outer
circumference, which will be the 4' diameter, will be cut on my band saw
by setting up a jig that has a pivot 2' from the blade. I'm looking for
suggestions for the best way to cut the inner diameter which will be at
2' - 4" giving the "ring" a 10" width. The material is 3/4" thick. So
far I'm thinking my jig saw or my router with a fence set at 10" and
multiple passes. Any other suggestions? As always, thanks in advance!!