Bob Eager

Default Drum seized, back welded

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 16:48:19 UTC, (N. Thornton)
wrote:

Washing machine drum has seized solid, no movement at all.
Unfortunately the outer casing back is welded in place, not
unscrewable, making drum removal practically impossible as far as I
can see. Theres a 7" or so porthole in the back where the drum main
bearing is.

I did the bearings on a slightly older (I think) Hotpiint. The porthole
is necessary for bearing access, but the drum came out the front.

This is what I did, but it may be different for you. Worth a go...very
satisfying DIY I thought.

Remove top, timer knob (in my case, anyway) and release door seal clamp.
Remove soap drawer and undo screws inside cavity that hold front panel
on. Also remove other front panel screws. Remove front panel.

At this point I undid the clips that hold the front of the outer 'tub'
on, and removed said front complete with door seal. Drum exposed.

Removed drive belt, jammed drum at back and undid large nut (LH thread I
think). Drum then slid (OK, banged) out of front.

More of story by email if you like!

I found the Haynes manual useful (really!).
--
Bob Eager
rde at tavi.co.uk
PC Server 325*4; PS/2s 9585, 8595, 9595*2, 8580*3,
P70...