N. Thornton

Default Drum seized, back welded

Hi.

Washing machine drum has seized solid, no movement at all.
Unfortunately the outer casing back is welded in place, not
unscrewable, making drum removal practically impossible as far as I
can see. Theres a 7" or so porthole in the back where the drum main
bearing is.

Is it possible to replace this main bearing from this porthole, ie
without removing or opening the drum? If so I'm in luck. If not, any
other ideas welcome! I've repaired washing machines but havent done
bearing replacement before.

Its a Hotpoint Ultima WM71, European style front loader.

Also any recommendations on part suppliers would be good, as I dont
fix washers for a living. I'm in Britain.

Thanks, NT
James Sweet

"N. Thornton" wrote in message
m...
Hi.

Washing machine drum has seized solid, no movement at all.
Unfortunately the outer casing back is welded in place, not
unscrewable, making drum removal practically impossible as far as I
can see. Theres a 7" or so porthole in the back where the drum main
bearing is.

I had a hell of a time figuring this out, but the whole entire top/front
comes off my mom's washer, it's a top loader but you may find yours has a
similar setup, it was not at all intuitive as I was experienced with the
type where the back comes off.

N. Thornton

"James Sweet" wrote in message news:6SYMb.42737$Rc4.167695@attbi_s54...
"N. Thornton" wrote in message

Washing machine drum has seized solid, no movement at all.
Unfortunately the outer casing back is welded in place, not
unscrewable, making drum removal practically impossible as far as I
can see. Theres a 7" or so porthole in the back where the drum main
bearing is.

I had a hell of a time figuring this out, but the whole entire top/front
comes off my mom's washer, it's a top loader but you may find yours has a
similar setup, it was not at all intuitive as I was experienced with the
type where the back comes off.

OK thanks for the ideas everyone, I'll do another exam and see what
options there are first.

Cheers, NT

Christian McArdle

Its a Hotpoint Ultima WM71, European style front loader.

I might be talking ******** here. However, when I fixed the heating element
on mine, the Haynes manual said that Hotpoints are different from other
makes because everything comes out of the front of the machine rather than
the back. This was certainly true of the element.

Mine was an Ultima too. May even have been a WM71.

Christian.

Adventures in Loft-land [email protected] UK diy 9 January 16th 04 08:14 PM
Washing machine drum not revolving. Steve UK diy 7 December 30th 03 04:33 PM
Back Boiler Problem Sammer1_uk UK diy 5 December 7th 03 04:03 PM
Leaking Washing Machine Drum Phil Young UK diy 10 October 7th 03 05:05 PM
Draining Back Boiler Jamie UK diy 1 July 27th 03 12:29 AM