Andrew Koenig

Default US homes vulnerable to Tornados ( wooden), why not use concrete?

"Joseph" wrote in message
om...

It also showed that at times several Tornados occured at the same time
in a single region just like in Twister.
So this made me think that there are such situations in the USA.

Such situations do exist. However, the thing to remember is that unlike
cyclones, tornadoes affect an extremely small area. My parents live in a
small town that was hit by a tornado about 30 years ago. I believe that it
is the only tornado that has ever been reported in that part of the country.
The tornado destroyed one house, leaving the two houses next to it
untouched. In fact, it destroyed *half* of one house--the rest of the house
remained standing. It was quite remarkable--it was like someone had cut the
house in half with a very large knife. I saw it personally a few weeks
later.

So tornadoes are so concentrated that they can destroy a single house and
leave its neighbors alone. That is quite a different story from cyclones,
which I think are hundreds of kms in diameter. Similar storms, called
hurricanes, affect parts of the US as well, mostly the southern states near
the Atlantic ocean, and houses in that area are usually required to be built
in a way that is strong enough to withstand a hurricane.

I have another question to ask that does not concern Tornados.
I read in a magazine once that there is a high tax on property in at
least one State.
There was a case where someone inherited a property which contained a
forest.
He could not pay the high tax that was required so he had to cut all
the trees to be able to pay the excessive tax on the property.
Then later on he could not pay the tax again so had to sell it to pay
the tax.

Is this high tax on land applicable in only one state or in several
states?

It is probably not a tax on land, but rather a tax on inheritance. The USA
has very high taxes inheritance taxes, but they affect only very large
inheritances--I think the first million dollars or so are exempt. The laws
changed recently to phase out inheritance taxes over the next ten years, but
then they come back unless Congress does something about it before then.