Chloe

Default Why buy a house?

"v" wrote in message
On Sat, 10 Jul 2004 05:19:06 -0400, someone wrote:
snip
Tell your friends you don't want the responsibility of ownership.
Want to be able to pick up and move and not worry about selling. Not
handy so you'd have to pay for every little repair and would rather
the landlord had to find the contractors (LL's on staff Maint. Person
costs less for a days work than a contractor's 1 hr service call).

snip

Excellent summary on how to rebut people who are butting in and nagging
someone to buy a house. As I recall, the OP wanted to rebut them on a bunch
of financial grounds like no property tax and free maintenance, some of
which were shaky at best and some totally implausible.

Personally DH and I hated renting: the lack of outdoor space, the common
walls, noise, trashy neighbors, landlords who wouldn't make needed
repairs...the list goes on. Of course some of that can be avoided in some
kinds of rental property, like detached houses in nice neighborhoods, but
those don't come cheap.