FC

Default US homes vulnerable to Tornados ( wooden), why not use concrete?

Doug Miller wrote:

In article , (Joseph) wrote:

I saw movies depicting Tornados in USA (Twister & another one I can`t
remember the name), as well as documentaries. Aren`t concrete homes
less likely to be destroyed by Tornados?
Let me know please why US citizens continue to build their homes from
wood.

Because concrete buildings are ugly. And the destruction of home by a tornado
is a comparatively rare event.

Concrete building isn't all ugly. It's totally possible for concrete
building to be built with a taste but in this country concrete building
are all for commercial/public building so aesthetic is not a priority.

I think a more important reason is concrete building cost a lot more $$$
than wood frame building and the housing market is not willing/ready
to pay the differences for the added security. I'd venture to say if
tornado hits even 2-3% of the house in the tornado alley each year then
there will be a market for the concrete house in the US.

FC