Joseph

Default US homes vulnerable to Tornados ( wooden), why not use concrete?

I noticed that US citizens build their homes from wood even though
they are extremely vulnerable to Tornados, after the victims` homes
has been destroyed by tornados, people rebuild their homes from wood
again.
Isn`t that a foolish thing to do?

In my country Mauritius, (a small Indian Ocean Island) we have several
Cyclones every year during the rainy season, in around 1965 there was
a severe cyclone called Carol which destroyed a considerable quantity
of homes here. Since then people have stopped building their homes
from wood. People build them from concrete nowadays. Except the poor
people who can`t afford concrete homes, they build from metal sheets &
wood. But their homes are often damaged or destroyed when ever there
are cyclones, so they have to move to special refuge centers every
time a serious cyclone comes here.
Schools are used as refuge centers for them during severe cyclone
warnings.

So I am wondering why people continue to build homes in USA from wood
when obviously they will be destroyed in a Tornado.
It is obviously a risky thing to do as they put their lives & their
families` lives in danger doing this, especially in regions where
Tornados occurs.

I saw movies depicting Tornados in USA (Twister & another one I can`t
remember the name), as well as documentaries. Aren`t concrete homes
less likely to be destroyed by Tornados?
Let me know please why US citizens continue to build their homes from
wood.