Lobster

Default What length ladder and best place to buy them?

"David Hearn" wrote in message ...
The guttering of our house is about 5.5m above the ground. I want a ladder
which will reach that height safely. I've no plans on doing any serious

snip

Just to add to the sensible advice others have given...

Another consideration for whether to pick a 2 or 3 section ladder is
the difficulty of extending a long two-section ladder; either you
extend it to full length along the ground and then stand it up and
lean it on the wall without it falling over; or you do what the pros
do, lean it up unextended, push the upper ladder up as high as you can
reach, then start climbing... you have to kind of pull the ladder off
the wall and while balancing, push the upper ladder up another rung
before it falls back against the wall, so you walk it up the wall rung
by rung to full height. Not recommended! Alternatively you buy a
meg-bucks ladder with built-in ropes and pulleys.

Another good way of securing an erected ladder is to position it over
an upstairs window; hold a thick horizontal batten over the window
inside the room and tie this to the nearest rung of the ladder with a
rope. You'll need to climb the ladder to attach it, whereupon it will
usually start bowing under your weight - so if make the rope taut at
that point it will stop the ladder bouncing as you climb up and down,
and make it very secure.

I'd recommend you look at Wickes - they have a large range, reasonably
priced.

David