Rick Dipper

Default Barn conversion - questions about foundations

My old house has no foundations, they simply scraped off the loos soil and started building. The house has been there 200 years, so it must work.

However the attached barn has no roof, so along comes building regs takes one look at the foundations and tells me the walls won't hold up a feather not alone a roof.

Underpin
plant in steel pillars to hold roof
rebuild

I am choosing rebuild, in block clad with orignal stone. This also resolves issues with insulation values, and water from the soil that in places is 6 foot up the
walls.

I spent AGES finding an architect that had many similar projects under his belt, and was not an arty-farty spend 4 times more money than I had type. Once I found this
guy he made the whole problem seem much simpler .........

Rick

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:06:46 +0000, Simon Hawthorne wrote:
Hi all
I posted a couple of weeks ago about suitability of my existing boiler
to power extra rads in a barn I am converting.
Wonder if anyone could help with my next question....
I am told my a neighbour that the guy who owned the house before me
tried to get planning permission to convert the barn into a 'care
home' - but there was a problem with the foundations? I cannot verify
this by speaking with the old owner but can anyone point me in the
right direction. I don't want to waste time planning the conversion
only to find there IS a problem with the foundations...
Thanks in advance (again)...!

Regards, Simon
http://www.thehawthornes.org