Rick Dipper

Default What length ladder and best place to buy them?

Sir

Ladders are a pain, you have to find somewhwre to store them, where the local torags won't use them to break into your house.
If you only want it for occasional use, why don'y you check out the local hire shop. a 9m ladder from my local shop is 13.30 a weekend.

In my experieence the hire shop won't let you hire unsuitable equipment, and they have the top quality idiot proff stuff.

Rick

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 23:22:06 -0000, "David Hearn" wrote:
The guttering of our house is about 5.5m above the ground. I want a ladder
which will reach that height safely. I've no plans on doing any serious
work up there - I just want to check it because its dripping at the moment
and want to see what the problem might be. I don't want to buy one which
won't reach the highest point I'll need to do (as we don't have a gable end,
the guttering will be the highest point I'll be going!). I also don't
really want to by buying one deliberately longer than I need (ie. I don't
need an additional 1m for stepping onto the roof - I'll leave that work to
pros, plus, I don't have a roof ladder!)

What is the recommended angle for ladders? If I need to reach 5.5m vertical
and the ladder is at the recommended angle - what length (extended) ladder
do I require? I've been looking at 7m+ ones - though I'm wondering whether
6.5m will be sufficient.

The other thing is once I've got the required length I want to find a
suitable supplier. Screwfix seem to do 3 section, non-domestic (ie. 150kg
rather than 95kg limit) 7m ladders for about £130 with free 2 week delivery.
B&Q (if you can find the required one in stock in your local store) is a
similar price (£124 I think according to their website, though delivery
isn't free).

Does anyone have a better/cheaper place to get it from for a similar price?
£130 is the max I'll go to, so please don't suggest scaffold towers etc!
Its for very occasional use and I know the risks of doing things up ladders.

Incidentally, any good places to purchase a standoff unit for the ladder?
Screwfix does one for £29.99 but I've seen one in B&Q for £22.99 made my
Abru. I'm wondering though whether the Abru one will only suit Abru
ladders... Any better/cheaper place to get one?

Thanks

David