David Hearn

Default What length ladder and best place to buy them?

The guttering of our house is about 5.5m above the ground. I want a ladder
which will reach that height safely. I've no plans on doing any serious
work up there - I just want to check it because its dripping at the moment
and want to see what the problem might be. I don't want to buy one which
won't reach the highest point I'll need to do (as we don't have a gable end,
the guttering will be the highest point I'll be going!). I also don't
really want to by buying one deliberately longer than I need (ie. I don't
need an additional 1m for stepping onto the roof - I'll leave that work to
pros, plus, I don't have a roof ladder!)

What is the recommended angle for ladders? If I need to reach 5.5m vertical
and the ladder is at the recommended angle - what length (extended) ladder
do I require? I've been looking at 7m+ ones - though I'm wondering whether
6.5m will be sufficient.

The other thing is once I've got the required length I want to find a
suitable supplier. Screwfix seem to do 3 section, non-domestic (ie. 150kg
rather than 95kg limit) 7m ladders for about £130 with free 2 week delivery.
B&Q (if you can find the required one in stock in your local store) is a
similar price (£124 I think according to their website, though delivery
isn't free).

Does anyone have a better/cheaper place to get it from for a similar price?
£130 is the max I'll go to, so please don't suggest scaffold towers etc!
Its for very occasional use and I know the risks of doing things up ladders.

Incidentally, any good places to purchase a standoff unit for the ladder?
Screwfix does one for £29.99 but I've seen one in B&Q for £22.99 made my
Abru. I'm wondering though whether the Abru one will only suit Abru
ladders... Any better/cheaper place to get one?

Thanks

David