Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Default Cracks in ceiling..advice?

"lucy" wrote:

Thank you very much! I will get the fiberglass tape and some "mud" but I'm
not sure what you mean by that. Would they know at Lowe's what I mean by
that or does it have another name?

The people at Lowes will definitely know what products you need, assuming you
find the paint department. You will want drywall tape, drywall compound ("mud")
and a couple of spatulas of varying widths. They also occasionally run clinics
on how to make repairs.

You seem very knowledgeable about this, so if you wouldn't mind, will you
give me some pointers on how to do this? Like how do I remove old seam tape?
Just start scraping that area?

I've done it more than once, but don't claim to be an expert by any means. Can
tell you what worked for me: Remove the old seam tape with a utility knife. Cut
a line across the tape at either end a couple of inches into the part that
hasn't lifted. Make sure you also remove any chips or other loose bits of paint,
compound or tape.

By the way - if the tape is lifting, you may have a water leak problem. Properly
applied tape is embedded in a thin layer of drywall compound, making it
extremely unlikely that it would lift unless exposed to water. You must get the
leak fixed before you repair the drywall.

Okay, then I put up the fiberglass mesh tape on the seam, then put the mud
stuff on there?

Paper tape requires that you spread a think layer of drywall compound, slightly
wider than the tape for the length of the tape, then place the tape in the
compound and use the spatula blade to press the tape into the compound. The
fiberglass stuff is sticky on one side, so you can just place it on the seam and
spread the compound on top.

Do I sand it when it dries?

The general technique is to wait until the compound drys, knock down any large
ridges with sandpaper, then feather a layer on top that is slightly wider. Final
sanding may be required if you have smooth walls. Modern builders tend to use
textured walls to avoid the sanding requirement.

Thank you so much, I really appreciate your help,

Good luck.