Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Default Cracks in ceiling..advice?

"lucy" wrote:

Older house, was built in the 60s I think, and lately I'm noticing something
like cracks in the ceiling in most of the rooms, but it's more of what looks
like a seam about to show. In all but one room, it hasn't come through the
paint yet, if that makes sense. In one room, it's an actual "crack" looks
like a sidewalk crack, very thin though, and has cracked the paint. Long
one. There are also some cracks near the door frames on the walls. I live in
Texas and have heard people say houses settle here a lot. Pier and beam
foundation, small house, just five rooms.

I cannot afford to move, fixed income, and it's just me, but I can still
climb a ladder if I'm careful. Will someone please tell me how to fix it?

You can usually tell quite easily if it is a seam crack. Those will be in the
corner or run in a straight line. The easiest way to fix those is to use a
paintable acrylic caulk to fill the crack, then paint over with a latex paint
that matches the existing paint.

If the seam tape has lifted, it needs to be removed (as much as has lifted), and
replaced, mudding as required. I tend to think the fiberglass mesh tape works
well for repairs as it is a bit stronger, but paper would also work.

Using drywall patch for seam cracks is usually not a good idea as the crack will
likely reappear after a short time.

Note that if the surface paint has been on for a few years it most likely will
not match fresh paint. If that's a problem, you need to paint the entire surface
to a corner or other natural break in sight line.

If its serious?

These types of cracks are not serious as long as the gap is relatively small -
say a pencil lead width or less. If the crack is larger or runs in multiple
directions, you probably should have a trusted builder or inspector take a look.

I don't have anyone I can call as far as family, and I rely on this newsgroup a lot for information about this house

Now that's dangerous...