ARWadsworth

Default Drilling through mains cable!

"N" wrote in message
OK I now I am a complete idiot but I just drilled through a mains cable.

Big
flash then the RCD trip switch kicked in and put all the power in the

house
out. However, when I put the power back on everything works no circuit
trips? So I put an insulated screwdriver in the drill hole to check and
everything trips again, the end of the screwdriver also got pretty melted.
Reset trip switches and everything works fine.

I am having someone with a brain, unlike me, look at it tomorrow - an
electrician. But is it safe to leave the power on overnight - the lead is
below a floorboard but can not be accessed without a fair bit of work -
skirting off etc hence the wait for the man with a brain. I am concerned
that something may be smouldering away under my floorboards or if that was
the case would the RCD/MCB kick in?

Thanks

PS Try to limit the comments on my stupidity and about how cheap

pipe/cable
detectors are. my wife wants to kill me as it is - take pity on me!

If you are that concerned then just turn the MCB off that powers this cable.
Use extension leads to power essential equipment e.g. fridge/freezer if it
is that circuit. The RCD or MCB should kick back in if there is a short but
if it was my house I would turn the power off to that circuit for one night.

--
Adam

PS We have all done it. The rules are to damage the CH cable on the coldest
night of the year, the lighting circuits just before nightfall and the ring
main just before a film you have wanted to watch for ages is due to start