Default Drilling through mains cable!

OK I now I am a complete idiot but I just drilled through a mains cable. Big
flash then the RCD trip switch kicked in and put all the power in the house
out. However, when I put the power back on everything works no circuit
trips? So I put an insulated screwdriver in the drill hole to check and
everything trips again, the end of the screwdriver also got pretty melted.
Reset trip switches and everything works fine.

I am having someone with a brain, unlike me, look at it tomorrow - an
electrician. But is it safe to leave the power on overnight - the lead is
below a floorboard but can not be accessed without a fair bit of work -
skirting off etc hence the wait for the man with a brain. I am concerned
that something may be smouldering away under my floorboards or if that was
the case would the RCD/MCB kick in?

Thanks

PS Try to limit the comments on my stupidity and about how cheap pipe/cable
detectors are. my wife wants to kill me as it is - take pity on me!