Dr. Hardcrab

Default Water baseboard heat will not stop

Jeff, you have to realise that this (alt.hvac) is NOT a DYI group or a
question and answer forum. It gets very tiresome when people ask the same
questions over and over again (for years!!) because they are too lazy to
RESEARCH it. They just want someone to do all the work for them. Now, I
agree, the OP said he had tried a local contractor and didn't get
satifaction. But he has to realise: If that guy couldn't figure it out, AND
HE WAS THERE!!, how does he expect someone to do it OVER THE INTERNET!!!!!

There are enough capable people in alt.home.repair. Best if people keep
homeowner questions there......

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

kjpro wrote:
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

Depending on your technical prowess, available tools, and courage, you
may well find it best to leave the job to a professional. The tuition
cost for a DIY heating repair education can escalate pretty fast if
things start going wrong. G

Not to meantion that if certain things go wrong,
the problems he has now are going to be small compared to the cost of a

new
boiler.

Lastly, I have to agree that your posting your question to a
"professional group" wasn't worth wasting address keystrokes on. Those
guys are still stuck in a medieval guild mentality and for reasons I
can't fathom or appreciate, they seem take immense pleasure out of
acting like a bunch of 14 year olds in the school cafeteria, bullying
folks who aren'r in their little clique. Leave 'em to themselves, they
deserve each other.

Well just what do you do for a living??
*Cause by your post.......we know it's not HVAC.

Well, I've been retired for about five years, from a very satisfying
engineering career, flip flopping between the aerospace and petroleum
equipment industries, designing everthing from ball valve fuel oil truck
delivery nozzles to the cesium atomic clocks still whizzing around on
the GPS satellites. And, with regard to the previously flamed poster who
may or may not have been a "Brass Rat" (an MIT alumnus), I am one, class
of '57 thank you. Google my name if you must know more.

Jeff

Ask yourself this question:

*If* you owned your own HVAC company,
and you gave advice to someone over the net that takes it the wrong

way....
....and gets hurt or kills themself or someone while doing so.....
..........would you like to lose everything you have that makes you

money to
survive??
(and everything you have worked so hard to accumulate?)

I absolutely agree, and if I were in the HVAC business I'd certainly
have made a much stronger disclaimer that the "tuition cost" one I gave
toDavid. But, I wouldn't give him a wise ass answer the way the first
responder to his post did, which did nothing but exasserbate the
situation and turn it into a name calling contest, with what appeared to
be a bunch of you pro's trying to see who could come up with the
funniest one.

*We* don't....we like our jobs and take pride in doing the best job
possible.
We are not in the business to take unnecessary risks that could

jeopardise
everything we do for the rest of our lives.

And by reading this guys post.....he has no clue.....nor can any of us

see
his actual system that's installed in his home....

Is it even properly installed and safe??? (who knows)
What shape is the system in? (who knows)

No brand meantioned,
no model numbers meantioned,
no links to pictures,
no clues what so ever to what he has installed in his home.

Well, *some clues* at least. We can accept that it's gas, not oil or
solar, he must know that from paying a gas bill. There most likely *are*
two zones since he probably can see that there are two thermostats.
Plus, we know it's hydronic, 'cause I believe he could tell the
difference between that and forced air.

The poor guy did admit in a later post that he'd already been frustrated
by a supposed pro throwing his hands up in the air, and he wasn't
looking for DIY instructions. The troubleshooting tree for the kind of
problem he described isn't all that big. Malfunctioning zone valves were
already suggested, I was just sticking my oar in regarding the gravity
check valves in case he has a system with two circulating pumps and no
zone valves, in which case a check valve stuck open would be a likely
cause of his problem.

BTW, I have a vehicle that won't run.......what's wrong with it???
(get the picture?)

Yes. (Do the headlights work? Did you run out of Gas? Any puddles under
it?) David may "know nothing" about his system, but it's presumtious to
assume that he incapable of learning more about it.

Many of the guys on pdaxs.services.plumbing jump on homeowners who post
problems in a similar way, but thankfully a few of them do offer helpful
opinions about how to further diagnose a problem, but usually politely
advise against tackling more than the OP's capable of, and give them
sensible reasons why they shouldn't. That sort of approach might have
helped here too.

Best Regards,

Jeff
--