Steve Loft

Default Stuck stopcock

The stopcock under my sink doesn't turn the water off fully and I want
to repair/replace it. I have a stopcock outside under the kitchen
window, 2 feet down. It's one of those with a small 'bar' on it rather
than a tap, and you turn it quarter of a turn to turn it off, then
another quarter turn to turn it on, etc. I have a long T-bar with the
appropriate end for fitting over the tap. The problem is I can't shift it.

I did manage to operate it back in September just after we moved in. All
it needed then was a squirt of WD-40 and a little bit of force. Now,
I've given it copious amounts of WD-40 and a *lot* of force (probably
more than I ought to) and it won't budge at all.

There's a stopcock across the road belonging to Scottish Water, but it
serves two other properties here, and I don't want to mess around with it.

Any suggestions? Is it time to admit defeat and call a plumber?
--
Steve Loft
Wanlockhead, Dumfriesshire. 1417ft ASL