Peter Taylor

Default Barn conversion - questions about foundations

Peter Parry wrote

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:06:46 +0000, Simon Hawthorne wrote:

I am told my a neighbour that the guy who owned the house before me
tried to get planning permission to convert the barn into a 'care
home' - but there was a problem with the foundations?

The usual problem with barn foundations is simply that in many cases
there are none. They were simply agricultural outbuildings thrown up
on flatish) bits of ground. It was a barn after all and not built to
last for decades.

Yes, but this wouldn't in itself cause a problem in obtaining Planning
Permission. The only reason I can think of why the foundations (or lack of)
might be a factor regarding Planning Permission is if it's an archeologically
sensitive site. Otherwise, possibly the OP means Building Regulations approval,
not Planning Permission.

Either way, a trip to the local Planning Office to ask them all about it is
probably the best advice.

Peter