The Natural Philosopher

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

Franz Heymann wrote:

I have read a report one experimental fuel cell unit installed in Holland,
where it was mentioned that "At the point of shutdown, the unit was also
sustaining a power generating efficiency of more than 46 percent, well above
a conventional combustion-based power plant that typically generates
electricity at efficiencies of 33 to 35 percent".

That is typical of an old station running coal or gas, built to 60's
standards. Noit a modern set.

That does not sit well with whoever it was who recently said something about
conventional power stations operating at 60%.

Depends on what you mean by conventional.

The key to efficiency is getting your working fluids temperature and
pressure way up, and the final exhaust way down.

Steam turbines with ultra superheated steam going through multistage
turbines with condensors on the back end to get the back end temp way
down will do better than 50%. Gas turbines with extremely high
combustion temperatures, whose exhaust then heats water to drive a steam
turbine, do even better. If the coolant water at around 40-60C is then
fed to housing next door for heating purposes...you are getting up
towards 75-80% usage of thermal energy released.

And the last little bit goes to help you farm fish in the cooling tanks :-)

So, two points

- in an overall energy and fuel conservation analysis, efficiency is not
the primary problem. If you can use waste heat to save heating oil being
burnt - example, build a bakery next door and use the heat to run the
proving process, and bake bread at the edge of the furnace, or use waste
heat to heat greenhouses to grow vegetables, or to farm fish or whatever
- then you have an *ovearall* more efficient system anyway.

- in an overall carbon neutral scenario, you want to reduce the
conversion BY ANY MEANS of fossil fuel to carbon dioxide. I am not sure
what fuel cells produce, but the carbon has to end up somewhere. If they
are running on fossil fuels they don't really solve the problem. Whereas
burning waste paper in a combined heat/power set can be extremely
inefficient, as long as the heat ends up reducing fossil fuel usage and
generateing SOME power. Because paper comes from carbon that has been
taken OUT of the air by trees.

The trouble is that neither the governments nor the power industry has
any real incentive to either do the OVERALL analsysis, nor to embark on
co-operative projects to utilise e.g. waste heat.

If someone could only come up with a plant that I simply stuffed full of
junk-mail and which heated my house, generated most of my electricity,
and allowed me to run a few pipes rund the garden to grow vegetables in
winter from....at similar cost to an oil boiler...

Franz