Bert Hyman

Default lighting gas pilot light

(Michael) wrote in
om:

The pilot light on my natural gas furnace appears to have gone out
- there's no flame, and when the thermostat signals the furnace to
go on, there's a lot of clicking but no fire lighting.

Can I just strike a match and relight the pilot? Is there any
danger, like an explosion of gas that's been leaking? The furnace
room (about 8 feet square) doesn't smell of gas.

If you're hearing clicking, that could mean that your furnace doesn't
have a pilot light at all, but uses a sparking device to light the
gas on demand. If that's not working, you'll probably do best to have
it fixed professionally.

Further, if it DOES have a pilot light, the procedure for lighting it
might be printed on an instruction plate near the access port. It
usually involves turning the gas valve to a particular "pilot"
position and possibly holding down a button to allow gas to flow
before the pilot is lit.

Still, unless you know what you're doing, you might want to pay
somebody this one time, and watch what he does :-)

--
Bert Hyman | St. Paul, MN |