Subcomandante

Default HOA giving grief about fence

"steve" wrote in message
Typically HOAs require that external modifications to your property be
approved by a 'design review' committee. This usually requires you to
submit plans that include drawings, dimensions and color schemes for
fences, etc. It sounds worse than it is -- in my case our association
wants drawings, dimensions, and color schemes (3 copies so they can file
one and give the others to the committee for review.) There is no charge
for submitting plans for approval and the committee typically gives you
a decision very quickly.

If you already got approval then you should be ok, but if you didn't
then you may have to file for approval after the fact and make the color
changes they are asking for unless you can get the committee to sign off
on the color you prefer. The committee is probably made up of homeowner
volunteers from your community who have been appointed by the HOA Board
of Directors. I am afraid that there is typically no 'statute of
limitations' in these matters, so the fact that the fence has been up
for 2 1/2 years probably won't offer you any relaxation in what ever
rules may be in place.

If there is no committee then I am not sure who you should talk to at
your HOA to resolve the issue -- I hope this is not the case.

I don't see the need for a lawyer here. The community CC&R's probably
give the HOA complete power to rule on this kind of issue, and at any
rate the cost of the fence is probably less than what you would end up
paying to litigate the matter even if there was a case.

Try to keep things friendly with whomever you communicate with, it
maximizes your chance to get a good result.

The color scheme you used for the fence sounds very nice to me -- I hope
you are able to work things out. (Heck its not like you painted the
fence 'hard rock hotel' purple!!!)

Best of luck in resolving the issue,

steve

Have you ever try to enforce your righteous theories in the court of law?
Try it!
You may finally mature by doing so, child.
-Sub