half_pint

Default TV tube, hissing, fizzling crackling noise, arcing.

"Asimov" wrote in message
"half_pint" bravely wrote to "All" (26 Jul 04 19:48:04)
--- on the heady topic of " TV tube, hissing, fizzling crackling

noise,
arcing."

ha From: "half_pint"

ha "Asimov" wrote in
ha message ...
"half_pint" bravely wrote to "All" (25 Jul 04 20:29:45)
--- on the heady topic of " TV tube, hissing, fizzling crackling
noise, arcing."

If I bring say a clock radio from your room into a non-smoker's house
it will reek of tobacco smell to them for months.

ha And whats wrong with tobacco smell? Its a far nicer smell than many
ha of the other odours in people houses, food, cheap perfume, body
ha odour and worse.

Most non-smokers find "that" residual cigarette smoke smell quite
annoying but in their defense most also like the aroma of a nice pipe
or a great stokey. Can't say I blame them since cigarette tobacco is
highly processed and tampered with, as we all have now learned.

ha How to you manage when someone farts in a lift? Sounds like
ha a cardiac arrest is on the cards.

You don't even
notice it because you are desensitized in being saturated by it 24/7.
But it's a longshot that the tar in your lungs acts as a protection
against ozone. Don't count on it.

ha Sounds reasonable to me, after all if they are coated with tar, the
ha ozone will react with the tar not me.

On the contrary, tar might just as likely weaken the lung's natural
immunity to many pollutants that a non-smoker may deal with well.
Sometimes things that may seem reasonable are in fact the opposite.

I am of the opinion that non-smokers tend to take more time off
work with colds etc (so my boss told me anyway, but being a smoker
himself maybe he was biased).
I also find asthma and hey fever suffers tend to non-smokers.

ha I noticed me a smoke was much better able to cope with a CS
ha gas attack than the coughing an spluttering non-smokers. It was
ha just a bit of fog to me.

Perhaps your resistance to it just meant a higher tolerance to pain
due to the lung desensitization but perhaps not a higher tolerance to
damage. Recall your very first attempt at smoking likely left you in a
fit of hacking and now you don't notice any irritation when inhaling.
Except of course every morning when you awake you need to cough out
half a lung before you light up or maybe both together. I remember.

I don't cough up anything in the morning, and I don;t start the day with
a cigarette, at least not untill after breakfast with a cup of tea.

I smoked 2 packs a day for over 20 years

ha I think former smokers are less tolerant of smokers than those
ha who never smoked.

I think smokers assume ex-smokers are less tolerant of them. I think
ex-smokers are more positive about the benefits of not smoking and
smokers consider this harping or gloating. In contrast smokers are
more self-destructive and hyper-defensive about their nicotine
addiction. It's very similar to a drug addict that will do anything to
get their fix. You won't win this argument! ;-)

Personally I think a lot of ex-smokers are jealous especially when
the waft of nicoteen starts the craving in their brain again.

but finally gave it up after
discovering a couple of shadows in my lung xrays.

ha Which were probably completelt unrelated to smoking.

Are you a qualified oncologist or was that just a haunch?

Well non-smokers also have health problems too and there is
nothing to suggest smoking was a cause. If it was the big C
quiting smoking would have made sod all difference anyway,
in my opinon, the horse has already bolted.

It has now been over
20 years since I last smoked and a clean bill of health. It wasn't as
hard to quit as my smoker friends made it seem.

ha It is a lot easier for some than others, depending on a lot of
ha factors.
ha You say it was easy to quit yet you didn't quit untill you got a
ha "quit or die" message it seems.

True but I had quit before that for about a year but got back to
smoking because of my friends when drinking or whatever occasion.
People don't really consider the highly addictive nature of nicotine.
I once heard a psychotropic drug expert state in studies of heroin
addicts who smoked that when given a choice they would rather go
without the heroin than without the nicotine. This clearly hints at
just how strong the nicotine addiction can be for some. But it isn't
equally as strong for everybody as there are degrees of vulnerability.

Agreed about the addictive nature of tobacco.

I did much to my surprise, quit for a full week once (never managed
a single day before) all was going fine untill I went out for a drink at
the weekend with friends in a pub with smokers in. I just caved in,
even though prior to that after the first couple of day, it was much
easier than I had imagined.

I had found that I would get cravings but I found that the craving
would go away again quite quickly, rather than persist, once I
realised this it was fairly easy quitting, untill that fate full night
when I bought a pack.
Unfortunately I didn't smoke them all so there were still some left
the next morning!!
You know the rest, I have never stopped since.

Making the decision to stop is acctually the hardest part. Then you need
a mechanism for coping with things like going out for a drink (which
unfortunately I didn't have).

ha On a (ciggarette?) lighter note my TV was crackling quite a bit when
ha I switched it on, it also had a high pitched 'tone' from it.
ha Both seem to have died down now though (tone gone totally),
ha not meant to be as humid either (64%)

No doubt, humid air will conduct electricity better than dry air. I
don't care about the whining TV. TV's are cheap. It is the ozone you
should worry about, it tends to damage other things in the room
besides your lungs.

I don't think there is much ozone, after all I can smell the ozone from
a thunder storm, but not from my TV, even when I am in the house.

A*s*i*m*o*v

... I know flyback, ultor, and 47 other dangerous words.