Paul Mc Cann

Default workshop machines revisited

On 4 Jul 2003 11:28:41 -0700, (Michael
McNeil) wrote:

"Chris Harris" wrote in message ...
Hi

I posted here a week or so back asking what woodworking machines people
recommended for a workshop that would initially be used for a house
renovation project.

Well I've got a fairly limited budget so I've been looking at the Axminster
own brand tools as follows

Axminster compound mitre saw 300mm - Axminster part MS12C
Axminster saw bench - Aminster part BTS10P
Perform planer thicknesser - Aminster part CCNPT

I'm also going to upgrade my current fixed speed Bosch router to a 1/2"
Axminster model AW127R

I can't imagine what sort of use that a planer thicknesser is going to
be to you. For a lot less money you could take what few items you
might have to a workshop or timberyardand pay for a real machine to do
it.

DIY planer thicknessers are toys.

To answer your first point, this is uk d-i-y and running to a local
timber yard every time one wants a piece to size might turn out to be
a pita. O/K if one is working on one particular project but
otherwise.....

On your second point you are assuming his usage is going to be similar
to your own which is not necesasarily so.

At one extreme if he was into making modesl I imagine a DIY (whatever
that is) plane thicknesser would do fine.

At another extreme if he wanted to build an oak framed barn then I
imgine whatever you have in your back shed is going to look laughable.

My first 'table' saw was a saw attachment on a b&d drill which I
mounted in a piece of chipboard and clamped to the side of a bench I
made from timber discarded on a building site. It served me o/k ,(I
can remember using it to help me make two beds out of parana pine),
until I was ready to progress to better things (Just married, 3 kids,
mortgage. Severe financial handicap)

Paul Mc Cann