Alan

Default Spackle vs. Patching Plaster, etc.

On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 18:00:55 -0400, "Colbyt"
wrote:

"Nil" wrote in message
I have a variety of wallboard wounds to repair. There are some cracks,
dings, screwholes, and a hole that's about 1.5" x 5". I find on the
hardware store shelf "Vinyl Spackling", "Lightweight Vinyl Spackling",
and "Patching Plaster". I already have a big tub of joint compound.

What's the difference between Spackle and Patching Plaster? The labels
are almost identical. Why would I choose one over another? Can I use
joint compound for these repairs?

Patching plaster IS NOT sandable and is for plaster repairs.

Spackle is for filling tiny nail holes when you are in a hurry.

A sandable joint compound will work for all of your problems.

Not very suitable where you require something with strength or if you
need to fill large holes. I have used Durabond (patching plaster)
with both drywall and plaster with excellent results using joint
compound only for the final coat. An electrician I know who does a
lot of rewiring in older homes and ends up with holes to patch never
uses joint compound.