Nil

Default Spackle vs. Patching Plaster, etc.

On 28 Jul 2004, (Doug Miller) wrote in
gy.com:

Patching plaster shrinks less than spackle, and dries faster and
harder.

For a hole 1.5 x 5 inches, I'd use patching plaster, but not
filled quite all the way flush with the surface. Then after the
plaster cures, lay on a thin coat of spackle.

Before applying the patching plaster, moisten the drywall with a
sponge. Plaster cures by chemical reaction between the powder and
the water. If you don't dampen the area around the patch, it will
wick enough water out of the plaster to prevent it from curing
around the edges, and the patch will not adhere well to the wall.

Thanks VERY much for the quick answer. Of course, none of the teenagers
working at Ace had a clue.

So, would joint compound be a bad choice for these repairs? I would
think it would be OK for screw holes and smallish dings and dents, and
also to top off the larger hole repair instead of spackle. Yes?