The Natural Philosopher

Default Was: Moss/Lichen on roof, now we are into pollution.

Bob Hobden wrote:

Fact is... All the major manufacturers and significant others are working
flat out on Fuel Cell engines which produce no pollution except steam.

Wrong. The hydrogen has to be made. An innefficent process that burns as
much, if not more, fossil fuel than any other form of transport.

Better to use batteries, and then whilst the electricity generation is still

an issue, as with hydrogen, at least there is no need to build a huge

new infrasturcture of hydrogen supply and handling equipment.

A car that will do 300 miles between an overnigh charge of 9-10 hours at
20 Amps is technically feaisble and hads been demonstrated. Got about
600bhp as well, and under 1.5 tons weight.

Meanwhile they continue to develop even cleaner reciprocating engines.
The Hydrogen to run Fuel Cells can be produced using sunlight eventually, to
split water, so then we will be using the energy current account and not
even extra heat will be produced above that the sun provides.

I doubt that it can in any real quantity. The energy per unit area
falling on teh earh is probably best used to make e.g. biomass, which is
about teh most efficient process we have available.

However the real simple answer that dare not speak its name, is 'why the
**** do we need to go anywhere at all' and the answer is, mostly we don't.

Lets face it most of what we do could be done in front of a console from
home, if we had to.