Wayne

Default Efficient use of Air conditioner

wrote in :

In article ,
Wayne wrote:
Almost every light fixture in our home is equipped with a compact
fluorescent, and most are kept off unless really needed.

I bought and used my first ones this spring. They still generate
heat.

But not as much as incandescents, and so do candles, human beings, and
dogs and cats, so what's your point? You can't live in the f$#^@& dark.
If you need light, you need light. I wouldn't get rid of my pets or
avoid inviting people over because they add to the heat load.

.. We're
currently renting, so making modifications to the house is out of the
question, as is any extensive planting for shade.

Not being allowed to make mods to the place you live can also be
considered a feature :-). Making a deal with a landlord about
mods is an option to explore. Hanging rugs on the inside of
outside walls can substitute for insulation if you're not allowed
to do that stuff. Caulking works for both summer and winter.
Duct tape is a gal's best friend. I spent one weekend one winter
feeling for leaks. Then I taped it. It made interesting decor
but I wasn't cold.

/BAH

Quite honestly, I'd rather pay the electric bill and crank up the a/c or
furnace. I take only the conservative measures that I find acceptable.
Beyond that, my time, effort, personal energy, and personal comfort are
of more value to me than hunting down leaks. Besides, the house we're
living in is brand, well constructed, and well insulated. There probably
isn't much *within reason* that would be worth doing.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.