Richard Henry

Default Efficient use of Air conditioner

"The Ghost In The Machine" wrote in
message ...

There are certain difficulties with high heat and humidity
which we nevertheless muddle through; of course another
option is simply walking away from the house (after closing
it up) and going to the nearest air-conditioned theater
(which basically means one pays for the owner's A/C therein
by buying a movie ticket), or to a swimming hole (either
natural or artificial), which now means a tradeoff between
cooling, water exposure, and sun exposure (too much sun =
sunburn, ouch; waterproof sunblocker will of course help
here), or the beach (around here, the Pacific's relatively
cool, which means the beach is, too; I don't know if the
Atlantic is the same or not but would hope so) or even
go on a trip to where it's still winter, if one has a
good excuse to, say, purchase a plane ticket to certain
parts of Australia (it's winter down there, season-wise),
South Africa, or South America below the equator.

Yesterday we had a break in our cooling routine. An automobile took down a
power pole a couple of blocks away, so we were without power until dark. We
spent some of the time in the breezy shade watching the power company crews
repairing the damage (the pole taken down was right at the boundary of
opverhead and underground cables, and the accident sheared off the
descenders, so as well as a new pole, a length of the underground cables had
to be pulled out of the conduit and new cables fed in). I got a couple of
bags of ice from the mini-mart and put the meat, milk and mayo in coolers.
Then we all went over to the country club for the afternoon and sat around
the pool.