Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.computer.workshop
Commander Kinsey[_3_] Commander Kinsey[_3_] is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On Mon, 14 Jun 2021 17:45:09 +0100, Marilyn Manson wrote:

On Monday, June 14, 2021 at 4:19:21 AM UTC-4, Andy Burns wrote:
NY wrote:

I have no problem with injections and can barely feel the "sharp scratch".

For last year's flu jab and first covid jab, I didn't feel a thing at
the time, just about felt the second covid jab maybe I flinched, or it
didn't go in completely straight, either way no actual pain.

When I was in the service, a lot of shots were given with a Jet Injector.

Is that one of those things with 50 tiny needles, like an epipen? You would think every injection would be using those. The person giving it requires no special skill to find the blood vessel.

https://jetinfectors.files.wordpress...c-training.png

As long as the medic knew what he was doing and you didn't flinch as the shot
was given, they were, usually, pain free. However, if the point of contact wasn't flush
with the surface of the skin in all directions, any given shot could hurt like hell.

I say "usually pain free" because there was a certain shot that didn't fit that category.
I don't recall what the shot was for, but it was nicked named the "water fountain shot".

We'd stand in line, waiting to enter the room where the shot was given. About 10'
outside the door of the room there was a water fountain built into the wall. Service
members would enter the room, get the shot, feel no pain and walk out just like they
walked in - until right about when they passed the water fountain on the way out. That's
when you'd see people suddenly suddenly clutching their arm and hear something like
"Holy sh*t!" or "Damn! That f'ing hurts!"

Even the toughest guys that would never admit to being in pain would sort of visibly
tighten up or change their gait just enough that you could tell that the pain had started.

The pain usually lasted about 24 hours, during which time, of course, the drill instructors
would make sure that all activities included copious use of the painful arm.