Peter Swinson

Default Condensate everywhere

I have seen these pans crack in the center where the injection molding
circles are. Don't try to repair it because it will recrack. Replace the
coil.
"CBHvac" wrote in message
news

"Gary M" wrote in message
I really hope someone will be able to help me here; I own a 99 Oakwood
home with a Intertherm/Nordyne HVAC unit. The coils of the unit are in
an 'A' configuration and sit in a plastic tray which rests over the
blower cabinet. Ostensibly, this is to catch the condensate and drain
it away via a hose which leads outside.

That part we all know..its a standard slap in...the way that Oakwood and
every other mobile home maker wanted that used that crappy Nordyne set up.

This part of it works fine and
I have cleared the hose more than once.
The problem I have is this; A lot of the water doesn't reach the
drain hose. Instead, it leaks down into and onto the blower equipment
below. This has led to the sequencer and the cicuit breaker shorting
out and they have been replaced. The repairman told me that the drain
had gotten clogged, but that is not the case now. The water seems to
be coming from some other part of the tray. Before I get another
serviceman out here to tell me, "Your drain hose was clogged. That'll
be $xx.xx." I would like to know if there is another cause and better
still, if there is something 'I' can do about it without having to
dismantle the entire cooling system.
Thanks in advance,
-Gary M-

Well...since we deal with this about once a week in a setup like yours,
offer a few suggestions...

did the last service tech seal the pan to the blower compartment with

either
a foam tape that is applied to the top of the blower that the A coil
assembly sets on, or with a good quality metal tape around the sides, or a
combination of both?

did the last service tech insure that after he cleaned the drain, that the
coil blower and coil had a slight tilt towards the drain? Did he put a

level
on it? Was it dead level? IF it was, its should NOT be on those..

Does your system have a proper condensate trap on the drain line? If not,

it
needs one, or the unit, IF sealed properly, might not be draining until

the
unit shuts down and you are getting water not so much leaking, but being
pulled into the works..

Did they speed the fan up trying to get better air flow, instead of

properly
balancing your single duct line? In other words....has someone put that
sucker on high, and opened all your vents in the triler? If so, its all
wrong, and you are not getting the cooling you need, and should have...and
the air flow could be such that the condensate is being literally stripped
off the coil before it can flow into the pan.

Those are normally plastic pans in the coil assembly, and under normal
circumstances, you will need to replace the coil long before the pan gives
you any trouble. IF the rear or front of the A coils covers have rusted

out,
its possible that the coil is getting water pulled over the lip of the pan
that way...