Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johnny B Good Johnny B Good is offline

Default Halogen to be banned

On Wed, 09 Jun 2021 19:23:26 +0100, Chris J Dixon wrote:

The Other John wrote:

In our bathroom we have 2 halogen wall lights with G9 40W mains capsules
rated at 460L each. Looking at LED replacements I can only see 200L
capsules, so we would get less than half the illumination. Fortunately
I have 5 spares so they should out last me!

I have 6 x 12 V MR16 bulbs in my bathroom, fed via a Dimpull. So far
they haven't made a version of the Dimpull that can handle LEDs.

In the 16 years since they were installed (tempting providence) I don't
think I have changed any bulbs, of which I have a stock, but I am on my
3rd Dimpull. Its soft start is obviously good for bulb life, just a
shame its own design isn't better.

Extrapolating, I don't think I need to worry.

+1 (assuming those Dimpull units are some version of an "electronic
transformer")

Some 7 or 8 years ago when we had the downstairs shower room
refurbished, I specified that the 4 halogen downlighters that SWIMBI had
decided to go for, use 12v lamps fed from transformers discovering that
the "transformers" I was expecting to see fitted were in fact 60W rated
smpsus which go into CC mode once the current demand tries to exceed the
5A limit of a 12v 60W rated smpsu as evidenced by the rather gratifyingly
half second ramp up to full brighteness on switch on.

This made them even kinder to the 35W 12v halogen lamps that I'd been
expecting even the older 12v transformers to be. The switch on surge in
this case being limited to just a 67% overcurrent rather than the 100 to
200 percent of an actual transformer (which is way better than the 1100
to 1200 percent current overload switch on surge you'd normally see with
mains voltage halogen lamps). As a consequence of this decision to avoid
mains voltage halogen lamps at all costs, I have not yet had to replace
any of the original lamps.

--
Johnny B Good