Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_4_] Fredxx[_4_] is offline

Default Halogen to be banned

On 12/06/2021 22:14, NY wrote:
"Fredxx" wrote in message

Yes you were wrong to make the statement, "I think the RPi is not
considered the best choice for a serious / long term system is that it
runs on an SD and that's not good for long term writes".

You didn't think and anyone with knowledge about the Pi would have
known this was a lie.

Agreed that you don't have to write a log file to a Pi's SD card. But if
you write it to a networked drive, *that* drive needs also not to be SD,
otherwise you are no better off. And writing to a physically-connected
disk (whether SD card or USB-connected spinning or solid-state disc) is
probably more reliable than writing to a network drive, where writes
(and reads) will fail if the network server (probably using SMB) fails
or the network infrastructure fails.

How does the Pi (or indeed any computer that has a solid-state disk)
manage to read/write/overwrite a swap file, where the contents will be
changing very frequently as different memory pages are swapped between
RAM and disc, without rapidly degrading the disc? Am I correct that it
is the number of writes (as opposed to reads) that causes the gradual
damage to an SSD?

The Pi is able to use RAM and doesn't generally need a separate swap
file. Although it is a facility you can enable but is not recommended as
it severely shortens the life of the SD card.

Most OSes with sufficient RAM don't need a swap file, or should I say
page file?