Posted to uk.d-i-y
NY[_2_] NY[_2_] is offline

Default Halogen to be banned

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
I assume that would be a receiver function. Can you provide details of
the lamp (systems) you're driving?

Is this over Wi-Fi, over mains, or some other transmission medium?

I can only guess you don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Bad assumption. The Philips Hue system does it using wifi and bluetooth.

I'd always thought (and I could well be very wrong!) that Hue lights (and
other remote-control bulbs) communicated by signals modulated onto the mains
wiring, rather than by RF (wifi/bluetooth). I suppose the acid test is to
connect one bulb by a very long mains cable so it is a long way from any
other bulbs, and see if it can still be controlled.

I may be about to learn something... ;-)

I suppose within a house, there is the reasonable assumption that every bulb
will be close enough to at least one other bulb that a daisy-chained
wireless communication method is always viable, even when the end-to-end
size of the area covered is large.

Does anyone know why Philips Hue still have a maximum of around 50-60 bulbs
that can be controlled by one Hue logon (and maybe one Hue hub)? It's the
one thing that customers are crying out for on the Philips forum, especially
with the increased use of a larger number of ceiling-mounted GU10s to light
a room rather than a much smaller number of brighter omnidirectional bulbs.
It's a shame there isn't a technology which allows a set of bulbs (defined
by their MAC address) to be controlled as a single unit (only consuming one
"unit" out of the 50-60).