Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] angelica...@yahoo.com is offline

Default OT: What words or phrases annoy you?

On Thursday, June 10, 2021 at 2:31:42 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , says...

And we don't say "parkway" in the UK. It's a road.

In the US a parkway is a road usually in the mountains that is designed
for the people to enjoy looking at the mountains and what they can see.
Not really ment for peopel to get anywhere very fast. Often restricted
to not let commercial vehicles on it.

Generally speaking, yes. We've got a road called "Huron Parkway" that is
just an ordinary road. It's somewhat scenic, if you like trees. It winds
several miles from one busy 5-lane road to another one (in contrast to
many roads around here that were platted out on a grid). There's no restriction
on who may drive on it.

Metro Parkway near Detroit is one of those roads platted out on a
grid. It changes its name several times; "Big Beaver Road" always gets a
laugh. It could reasonably called 16 Mile Road, to match the system used
by a number of Detroit-area roads.

Cindy Hamilton