Posted to alt.home.repair
Bob F Bob F is offline

Default Water pressure pump keeps turning on

On 6/8/2021 7:44 AM, dan wrote:
Thanks to the help here the problem has a workaround which was first
suggested by BobF I believe, which was to lower the pressure switch set
points.

With that one change, the water pressure motor & pump has been turning on
and off automatically for 24 hours now, and while the motor must be turning
on and off as water is used I haven't caught it in the act more than once.

I'll try to do things around the yard that are near that motor to try to get
a good handle on timing how often and how long it runs & let people who
helped me know the results as a courtesy to them.

Just turn on a faucet somewhere, and it will cycle on/off as needed. You
don't have to wait for it to happen when you wander by. You could even
have a hose end near the pump and a couple 5 gallon buckets, to measure
how much water comes out of the tank after the pump stops until it
starts again. Fill a bucket, and move the hose to the other, then dump
the first while the 2nd fills. Repeat as needed and keep count. Multiply
by the bucket capacity and you know your usable tank capacity.

Thank you - your help was instrumental in diagnosing & working around the
problem which appears to be an aging water pump that can no longer reach the
previous high pressure set point which was apparently well over 52 psi.

It could be a wearing switch also. You can buy them pretty cheap online
(Not that a cheap one is best) and have it around in case the switch
does decide to fail. It is not a bad investment to be ready for what
could be a very inconvenient failure.

I did have the mechanism at the bottom of the springs on the switch on
my sprinkler system just fall apart once. I replaced it with a spare,
and spent a significant time trying to figure out how to re-assemble the
broken switch. It was quite a puzzle.

And you are indeed welcome. I am glad you got it working.